Sep 8, 2006

Fractions and Numbers

I.  Values


    A.     The topic of "fractions" is following me around these days


         1. TJ is taking a fancy extra-hard algebra class this semester


             a. He's also taking Marathi, which is unrelated but cool


             b. I'm jealous as usual


         2. Fractions have numerators and they have denominators


             a. My sister's post about jam is really about the relative size of the numerator compared to the denominator.


                  (1)    in this case, the numerator is quality people you’ve met in NYC


                  (2)    the denominator is the total number of people available for dating you


                  (3)    both numbers are huge


                  (4)    the overall value approaches zero even though the numerator is large


             b. The Genghis situation


                  (1)    I was speaking to P-John about the Genghis Problem


                  (2)    I have been feeling sorry for Genghis lately


                  (3)    Genghis sets up impossible outcomes and then fails to meet them


                  (4)    this means that the denominator is always very large and consists of promises made and appointments scheduled


                  (5)    the numerator is the total number of promises kept and meetings that actually happen when they are supposed to


                  (6)    the total approaches zero -- even though the numerator is non-negligible, the denominator is ridiculous


                  (7)    Life in this mode must be highly unsatisfying


             c. New Year’s resolutions


                  (1)    last year I resolved to start fewer things


                  (2)    that way my denominator can be smaller


                  (3)    so my total contentment value is greater!


                  (4)    cheating, but so what


                  (5)    I have failed at keeping this resolution so far


    B.     Fractions aren’t mentioned in the epic rock opera called “Numbers” by Cat Stevens; only whole numbers are addressed


         1. only non-negative integers get to sing


         2. no irrational numbers, please


 


II. Proper outline format


    A.     If you have a “I” you must have a “II”


    B.     If you have an “A” you must have a “B”

6 Comments:

Blogger amanda bee opined...

recently, i found screenshots of our late 1999 Excite chats. We spent a lot of time free associating Tom Waites lyrics.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Dubin opined...

We did? No we didn't.

4:47 PM  
Blogger amanda bee opined...

maybe I only captured the day we spent talking about stirring brandy with a nail.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Dubin opined...

Huh. Ok, maybe we did.

11:10 PM  
Blogger lil miss dubin opined...

i don't get it; math isn't my strong suit. this is because you were the good one at the math and science magnet while i was the bad one getting a D in physics at the highly gifted magnet. all of those things are funny, come to think of it.
ps: on the subject of numbers, the lady at DSW told me yesterday that i had more than 1,000 points on my frequent shopper card. those points = dollars i've spent on shoes, at that store alone. if god hadn't wanted us to shop at DSW, why would he have put it at the transit hub union square?!
pps: luv u.

12:17 PM  
Blogger amanda bee opined...

Stirring my Brandy with a Nail

I had to make the black and white because the full color images were too much for my computer to handle.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home