Feb 13, 2007

File under "Correspondence Art"

Readers-

I used to mess around more at work that I currently am able to.

Don't look at me like that, all incredulous.

I admit, there were times when I was bored with the mundane task I was assigned, especially as a lowest-on-the-pole CAD jockey back in the 90s. And also back in the early oughts. And perhaps the mid oughts as well.

But now I am a Serious Professional, or at least someone who has a lot of crap on her desk. Overall, it beats the early days of architectural internship, but there's a drawback: I don't produce as much quality photoshoppery.

Used to be a time when if my house had a party, I'd spend a good amount of time designing the invite. Or I'd mess around with design the t-shirts for important neighborhoodly civic groups. Or I'd montage images of my old housemates to make us look like an especially winning bunch in order that we should get on "Trading Spaces" (which we did, but that's a story for another day)...

Nowadays, it's just, you know, log in this submittal, check the email for new RFIs, call the diffuser representative to see if anodized bronze is in the manufacturer's standard range of finishes, coordinate ductwork clusterfuck with the mechanical engineer, etc. I just don't have the disposable time I used to to do midday Correspondence Art.

Amanda and I started doing the correspondencce art stuff in 1997ish. I've kept the website where I post these things in order, but the only thing I'm doing with it right now is using it as a receptacle for collecting images until I figure out what I really am going to do with them. We are still going back and forth, but at a fairly slow rate - the last thread started in 2004 and only has 15 images so far. This posting is inspired by the fact that I just took time to complete another one, since it has been MY TURN for quite some time. Click on the image below for a link to the other serieses (what's the plural of series??!?)... scroll down tothe bottom for the most recent.

5 Comments:

Blogger bobvis opined...

I wish I had done more origami when I was in the womb. I guess you can never go back though.

Here's American Heritage Dictionary:
"USAGE NOTE Series is both a singular and a plural form. When it has the singular sense of “one set,” it takes a singular verb, even when series is followed by of and a plural noun: A series of lectures is scheduled. When it has the plural sense of “two or more sets,” it takes a plural verb: Two series of lectures are scheduled: one for experts and one for laypeople."

7:35 AM  
Blogger Erica opined...

Dubin, you seem to be the resident artsy person here. I like the idea of "correspondance art".

In high school I had a friend called Moose; she insisted the plural of the word was Meese.

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Dudette -- Cassidy is having a gallery opening at Abbraccio tonight and I told him you'd be there hawking your bathhouse t-shirts. There's an intimate dinner party immediately following at 7pm, so be there or be square. Melani is going to wear her AUTHENTIC Hong-Kong knockoff KIMONO, and I might even wear a tie with my old Yale sweatshirt so THIS IS ONE YOU DON'T WANNA MISS.

1:21 PM  
Blogger lil miss dubin opined...

You'd be happy too if you could eat what bugs you.

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'd been thinking it was because I'm lazy that I don't spend hours on stuff anymore, but I think you might be onto something with this whole anodized bronze thing.

-amanda

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home