Jun 27, 2006

Identity Crisis, in brief

Of the many identity crises I've experienced in my life, this one is the one I didn't see coming. I don't know what the hell my name is right now!

You see, I assumed I'd change my name to my husband's. Since I'm a child of a child of the Feminist Movement, I have the luxury of doing such things (kind of like I also have the luxury of enjoying handicrafts and wearing skirts to work).

My mom, you'd have thought, would have been more likely to keep her own last name than I would, given that it would have been a STATEMENT. Even though our society is still far from egalitarian, somehow I have the luxury of taking my man's name because it's not so important anymore to overthink it. I just very simply want to be clearly in the same family as TJ, and it would be nice if we all had the same name so we could put it on our mailbox or something.

But, the weeks are going by and I have done absolutely nothing committal to change my name. It's as if I've forgotten to address the issue. I just can't seem to do it. People have been calling me Dubin since forever, and it's who I am! I am Dubin. I am in serious denial about needing to deal with this conflict. People ask me if I've changed my name, and I'm like, "Look! Elvis!"

So now it's like I have no name at all. I'm not one and I'm not the other. Someday soon I'm going to have to pick...

1 Comments:

Blogger amanda bee opined...

This is a thing I've been thinking about. I mean, I always assumed I wouldn't change my name. My sister discovered, only when it was too late, that she liked her own name. But there is something nice about the anonymity of it. Amanda who? Amanda Budnick? No one went to High School with Amanda Budnick.

It is kind of thrilling, but ultimately, I can't fathom it.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home